3.31.2011

Not a Baby Anymore

I'm having a hard time with this.  And I mean a really hard time.  Like put a knife in my heart kind of hard.  But it is official:  my baby's not a baby anymore.  And he told me so.

It started last week.  He just decided he wanted to start pottying.  We weren't pushing it; really hadn't even talked about it.  He just made up his mind and there has been no looking back.  I guess I should be very thankful for that!

And then came Saturday.  We're laying in the bed and all of a sudden we hear the door creak open to Nate's room and then there he comes be-bopping out.  My boy who has never gotten out of bed by himself - ever (and he's been in a big boy bed since he was one - yes, one - should have been an indication that his independence would come too soon!).  He just decides it's time for him to do things on his own.  Sigh.

And then the cherry on top was last night as I started singing him "This Little Light of Mine" - a song we've sung almost every day since he was born.  He looked at me very serious and said in his cute little 2 year old talk, "Mommy, I not a baby anymore."  And the tears they did flow (on the inside in front of him but for real behind closed doors!).  Now in his defense he did see my hurt and then proceeded to dance and sing it until I finally got the frog out of my throat and could join along. 

I knew it would come.  But I just wasn't prepared.  And I have a feeling he'll always be my little baby (shhhhh....don't tell!). 


My "big boy" has some opinions, my oh my.  Yep, those are mittens - in March.  And sunglasses - inside.  And no pants - to show off the Buzz Lightyear underwear of course.  He's a mess and I love him to pieces!

3 comments:

Rebecca Ricker said...

Oh how my heart aches for you girl! Noah and Myah correct me when I call them "baby." But I tell them all the time,"You will always be my baby!" We mommas love our babies so! Nate is precious!

Kara said...

Oh, girl, I'm with Rebecca - my heart is aching for you, too! Our babies will always be our babies! That Nate is such a doll, and what a ham! Love those boys so!

Whitney Herndon said...

i love his big boy sense of style!